The temperatures are rising, the beaches are becoming busier and the nights are getting longer – that can only mean one thing: summer is here!
There can sometimes be a catch though:
➯ Have you ever checked your bank account after an amazing vacation trip and wondered how you spent so much money in just a short amount of time? Or have you ever wondered how you can save money while vacationing?
’Tis the season to shop, and a new holiday survey from American Express Pay It Plan It found that 86% of millennials (23 to 38) spent more money during the holidays last year than they planned to.
Of those who overspent, about one in five (21%) went over budget by approximately 500€ or more.
➯ By knowing the tricks on how to save during your vacation, it doesn´t have to be this way. Read on for some tips from TiC on how you can save money while vacationing and stay happy afterwards.
Put a little bit more effort into the planning of your trip
This can be done by booking plane tickets in advance. Depending on whether or not you’re traveling for your vacation, booking your flights as early as possible can help you pay a cheaper price and save money.
Check out TiC.travel to use our flight scanner to get the best possible prices as well as accommodation options! Avoid annoying baggage fees as they can add up at the airport by packing as light as possible.
Another way you can make sure you won’t be paying extra transfer fees when you request money is by ensuring you and your friends have downloaded the TiC app. This way, you can send and request money quickly and split the lunch bills, wherever you are on vacation.
Think smart while you are at your vacation destination
It is so easy to get caught up in the “oohs” and the “aahs” while away that you don’t realize how much cash you are actually spending.
You may not think it, but those short uber trips or water bottle purchases all add up in the end. A good way to save cash is to walk around. Of course, this may not be applicable in all destinations, but it doesn’t hurt to get out and venture into the city and nightlife on foot. It will help you save money on transportation.
Another easy way to save money while vacationing is by buying your gifts or souvenirs at the local stores. By hitting up local flea markets or shops, the same items are usually less pricey than in airports, resorts, or touristy areas.
Furthermore, you can check your local community Facebook page or calendars to see if they have free events going on in the area.
Overspending on vacation: the facts
➯ A study done on 7,480 adults by Oppu revealed that a shocking percentage (43%) admitted to spending beyond their means on vacation. And many came home to a rude awakening because of it:
- 27% suffered financial consequences that included excessive credit card debt, missed payments, or being forced to borrow money from family or friends.
- 49% reported spending-related guilt.
- 46% experienced stress from their spending, with more than half (55%) of those losing sleep because of it.
How to relieve post-vacation guilt and bounce back financially:
For vacation-goers who overspend while away, the flood of bills and a depleted bank account can be a harsh welcome home. But there are ways to get back on track.
1. Go on a spending ‘fast.’ To get your budget back on track, cut your spending to the essentials. Separate ‘need’ expenses (rent, utilities) from ‘want’ expenses (lattes, eating out). Do this for a week and see how much you save. Rinse and repeat as needed.
2. Channel your inner minimalist. Take some time to look through your closet for those items that haven’t seen the sun in a few years. Make some quick cash by bringing them to a consignment store, co-hosting a garage sale with some friends, or selling them online!
3. Engage in self-care. Life is stressful enough, even before you upped your budget problem. Take care of yourself by engaging in the things that help you keep an even keel — whether it’s yoga or painting, mountain biking or meditating. Everyone needs to manage their stress. This is all the more important when your stress is on the rise.
Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? A practical approach to avoid over spending guilt from the get-go
At the end of the day, nobody wants the guilt of overspending while they are supposed to be relaxing during their vacation.
➯ With TiC, you’re able to enjoy your vacation fully without worrying about going over the limit with your cash.
By downloading the TiC banking app, you’re able to create specific digital cards for different uses that has a set limit to make sure you don’t overspend and go over budget. Therefore, you can put all your cash for your vacation into one account only.
Furthermore, the TiC rewards system allows you to earn tokens with each purchase that will accumulate and allow you to choose a personalized reward. You are spending your cash twice by paying for expenses while saving for something that you can reward yourself with – even while on vacation!